Monday 22 February 2016

Narciso Yepes - Gonzalo Soriano: Concierto de Aranjuez - Nuits dans les Jardins d'Espagne


I must have 20 odd versions of the Aranjuez Concerto by Rodrigo and, regardless of how many times I hear it, I still love this piece of music. It is so evocative of Spain, although Rodrigo's inspiration appears to have been the gardens of the Palacio Real de Aranjuez (the residence of the King of Spain) which is near to the capital Madrid, which is not the most romantic of places. When I hear the concerto I think of Andalusia. The orange and lemon groves of Granada and Cadiz; the azure skies that hurt the eyes with their brilliance; the immense heat of Summer and the temperate warmth of Winter;  the wonderful smells, the food and drink, everything that is Spain. 
This album is quite old and, thus, the recording does contain some scratches, but don't let that deter you from listening. Yepes does wonderful things here, as does Gonzalo Soriano (on piano) during his performance of 'Nuits'. If, like me, you love all things Spanish the then this album is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment